US to Halt 'Some' Saudi Arms Sales Over Civilian Deaths in Yemen: Reuters
The White House has said it will halt planned arms sales to Saudi Arabia over the civilian casualties caused by the Saudi-led, U.S.-supported coalition’s airstrikes in Yemen, Reuters reported Tuesday.
“We’ve decided not to move forward with some foreign military sales cases for air-dropped munitions, [precision-guided munitions, or PGMs],” a U.S. official told the outlet. “That’s obviously a direct reflection of the concerns that we have about Saudi strikes that have resulted in civilian casualties.”
Although the source did not provide details, Reuters reported that one slated transaction appeared to involve “hundreds of millions of dollars worth of guidance systems manufactured by Raytheon Co that convert dumb bombs into precision-guided munitions that can more accurately hit their targets.”
Despite the arms halt, the U.S. will continue re-fueling the coalition’s planes—which Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.), an outspoken opponent of the Yemen campaign, called “shameful.”
The White House in October launched a review of its support for the Gulf kingdom after an airstrike hit a funeral earlier that month, killing at least 140 people and wounding hundreds more. Since the start of the war in 2015, the coalition has killed about 10,000 people, nearly 4,000 of them civilians. In November, an official said that U.S. support for the coalition does not include “target selection and review.”
Click Here: camiseta rosario central
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT